Pros and Cons of different types of log splitters
Log splitters are classified in various ways. We will consider all classifications. Many log splitter models are a blend of features. In this section, I will explain to you which is more beneficial to use and why they are the best log splitter.
First of all, let’s look at three main types of log splitters on the market. The kind of the best log splitter you decide to buy will depend on your budget, the type of wood, and its ease of use. Nowadays, you can customize log splitters according to your specific needs.
Manual log splitter
This is a traditional way of separating wood, without the use of electricity or gas. However, only you need to do manual labor. These log splitters depend on your physical strength as the legs or arms operate them.
Also, we all know that this log splitter is not as tired or challenging to use as you use an ax. The reason is the technology has made it easier and less expensive to use log splitters more for all users.
Besides, you are responsible for any risks when using this log splitter is ultimately less than your use of other machines. These log splitters are suitable for the economy of the majority of consumers. They are straightforward to use, lightweight, and ideally suited for smaller family projects.
The only downside is that they can be physically exhausted, and the output will also be affected.
- Economy: Most manual machines are simple and do not contain too many details, making them inexpensive and affordable.
- Portable: These log splitters are compact and lightweight so they can be easily carried wherever you are.
- Lightweight: These log splitters have the advantage of not being heavy because they are usually a single piece.
- Easy to use and store: The relatively small size and lightweight nature make these log splitters easy to store. And they are also straightforward and easy to use.
- No ugly and bulky cables: Unlike power log splitters, these machines don’t have dangling wires that you may stumble upon.
- Ideal for places without electricity: They do not depend on electricity or gas for work. All you need is your physical strength to use these machines.
- Quiet: They do not make any noise as there is no engine associated with these types.
- It is time-consuming: These log splitters are very slow and take a long time to separate the wood.
- Physical fatigue: Using these machines requires physical strength; Therefore, this limits its production time because you cannot use it continuously.
- Unable to separate large logs: This is a fundamental machine that cannot be used to separate large logs.
- Unsafe: The risk of injury is more with these machines because there is no control, and it is subject to your alertness and agility.
So if you only need a few records to be split, a manual log splitter is more than enough. But in case you want something faster, more efficient, and more powerful, then you should look at the electric log splitter.
Electric log splitter
These log splitters use electricity as their primary source of energy. They are mighty and used when you want more significant outputs faster.
Their most significant advantage is that they can also be used indoors. Besides, they are cheaper because there is no internal combustion engine often found in the gas log splitter.
On top of that, the best electric log splitter is lighter, does not produce harmful emissions, requires less maintenance, and is not as expensive as the gas log splitter.
They are usually found with a separation of 4-7 tons but are also available with higher payloads up to 20 tons.
- It can be used both indoors and outdoors wherever power is provided to give them greater flexibility in use.
- It is much quieter than gas-powered splitters.
- It is more economical than the other log splitter when compared to gas.
- They are very light and compact, making them portable.
- Because there is no gas without harmful emissions makes this log splitter environmentally friendly.
- It is more comfortable that maintenance does not require an oil change and engine maintenance.
- It is not strong enough to separate more massive logs requiring splitting forces more significant than 20 tons.
- It would be best if you had an electrical outlet. Therefore, if you use the extension when there is no power outlet nearby, then you have to navigate your way through a maze of cables and wires. Or you will have to use a generator if you use it in remote areas.
- They have less login capacity. The electric log splitter can only handle logs about 12 inches in diameter and 20 inches in length, unlike air separators that can process more extensive records.
To overcome these drawbacks and if you continually manage more massive logs and are looking for a powerful beast, the gas log splitter is the one.
Gas / Petrol
These are the most powerful log splitters available on the market for both commercial and home use needs. These log splitters are fast, efficient, and can be used with the hardest woods and massive logs. They can also be used on wet and seasoned wood.
They are the best commercial log splitters when you have a large number of split records.
- Powerful: They have tremendous strength with a force of separation of 8 tons to 34 tons or more active in some commercial units.
- Larger capacity: It used to separate logs more massive than 12 inches in diameter and longer than 20 inches in length; only the gas log splitter can be used.
- Portable: It is not restricted by electrical outlets or cables and wires.
- Expensive: Larger capacity, more efficient, and faster division costs. Gas models are more expensive than electric or manual log splitters.
- High maintenance: Gas log splitter that uses internal combustion engines require a periodic oil change, gas purification, and spark plug replacement with complete service. This is costly and time-consuming.
- Unable to use indoors: Due to the use of an internal combustion engine, there are toxic emissions that make it harmful when using the indoor gas log splitter.
- Noisy: They are loud and can disturb the peace of the surroundings.
- Heavy: These models are heavy and bulky despite being portable. The only way to move them is to pull them by a truck or an ATV.
Learn here; you know the best log splitter yet? You already know all the pros and cons of all three of the most famous log splitters on the market today. Hopefully, through the information I have just shared with you will help you choose for your family as well as your work the best log splitter. Besides, they also fully meet the needs of users as well as suit your economic conditions.